Thursday, July 21, 2005

On the Road Again

For the first eight hours of Wednesday, July 20 (i.e. from 12:01 am to 8:00 am) I inched my way up the Adobe Premiere learning curve as I edited together some video from a canoe trip Neil and I took last September on the Saco River in New Hampshire and Maine.

After I got some shut-eye Helen and I went for lunch at Java Jo's and then I undertook a variety of household projects, to wit: Cleaned the bathroom, transferred some ivy from the side of the house to a square surrounding a tree in the sidewalk on the front, and secured some plywood as a temporary closure for an attic window that disintegrated recently. I'll do a more permanent window repair after I return from this weekend's trip to Chicago and Iowa.

After a dinner of grilled pork spare ribs, the sun set in the west...

...and then armed with some crucial Adobe Premiere knowledge from Helen I returned to the canoeing video. Wrapped that up at about 6:30 am on Thursday morning July 22, and then began a multi-modal journey to Chicago's Loop:

Walked to the Forest Hills MBTA station, rode the subway to South Station Bus Terminal, rode the intercity bus to Providence, Rhode Island's Kennedy Plaza, where I transferred to a city bus for the ride down to T.F. Green Airport. Here I boarded a Boeing 737 jetliner for the flight to Chicago's O'Hare Airport, where I rode several moving walkways to the CTA station, where I boarded the elevated railway to the Loop, where I again walked in order to meet up with Neil, my host here in the Windy City.

Before heading back to his house on the North Side, we stopped at a venerable old camera store on South Wabash, where one can still procure things like bulbs for Super-8 movie projectors, movie film in several formats, and a mammoth used Beaulieu Super-8 sound camera ($995). Between hiccups, the affable clerk there confirmed my suspicion that nowadays there is probably only one place in the entire country that still processes Super-8 movie film. He said that place is Dwayne's Photo in, of all places, Parsons, Kansas. As the slogan on their website states, they are indeed "The Only Processor of Kodachrome Motion Picture Film in the United States."


Central Camera, 230 South Wabash, Chicago, Illinois, USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HTML Tag Instructions

Bold: To make text bold, tag it as follows:

<b>text you want to appear in bold</b>

Italic: To italicize text, tag it as follows:

<i>text you want to appear in italic</i>

Links: To add clickable links, like say to a Wikipedia article on baseball, tag it as follows:

<a href="http://URL.you.want.to.add.com">text you want to link from</a>

Related Posts with Thumbnails